Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Angry with God

Courtesy: Yahoo! Images

The day was Wednesday, January 21, 2015.  It was my turn to deliver the Wednesday night devotional.  Inspired by Wes McAdam's wonderful article, "Why I Cringe When You Say God Is Good" I decided to talk about how loving, righteous, and holy our God is all of the time-- not just when things are pleasurable.  Little did I know that in 24 hours I would have to live out and put into practice the very message I was delivering.  In the early hours of Friday, January 23, 2015, my beloved grandmother passed away.  

I had a very close relationship with her-- we did everything together!  I loved her more than I love myself.  Not only was she a wonderful example and role model for me, but she was also the greatest person I have ever known.  She had been so sick for so long with Parkinson's and COPD.  I have seen taking a breath become a struggle for her on many occasions. 

Her death was very hard, yet not unbearable.  I never felt that I was over my head or overwhelmed with grief.  I am writing this, not seem insensitive, but to glorify God.  It was bearable because I did not have to bear the whole burden of it.  Like Wes noted in his article, people often make remarks like "I just got a raise, God is good!" while very rarely do we see, "I just lost my job, God is good!"  I am here to tell you right now: my grandmother passed away, God is good!

The harder things get, the more God should be praised.  God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.  A lot of people get angry with God when life throws them a curve ball, but I urge you all to cling even tighter to God.  God is always on your side, and he loves you more than I could ever explain.  

I will leave you today with a few words from King David concerning the time his son Absolam rebelled against him:
O Lord, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me; many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God. But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. I cried aloud to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy hill. (Psalm 3:1-4, English Standard Version)
Because of David's sins of adultery and murder in regards to Bathsheba and Uriah, God told David that this type of rebellion would come.  When hope seemed bleak, David recognized that God is "the shield and lifter of our heads."  May we all do the same.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment